Feminine Rejuvenation with the IntimaLase and IncontiLaseIntimaLase/IncontiLase are in-office, non-surgical laser procedures for vaginal tightening and support of the urethra and bladder. The Fotona’s 2940 nm Er:YAG laser with “SMOOTH” mode non-invasive technology stimulates collagen remodeling and the synthesis of new collagen fibers in the vaginal mucosa. The indications for these procedures include:
- Stress urinary incontinence - Stress urinary incontinence is also known as a “leaky bladder” with involuntary loss of urine during coughing, sneezing or physical exertion such as sporting activities or sudden change in position. It can affect 12-35% of older women and is often embarrassing. Kegel exercises are often ineffective and surgical procedures, MESH and slings can cause complications.
- Vaginal atrophy - As women age they lose estrogen that can lead to vaginal atrophy. Estrogen therapy is often risky in women with hormonal dependent cancers like breast cancers and melanoma
- Vaginal laxity (vaginal relaxation syndrome) - Vulvovaginal laxity can be caused by any vaginal delivery and advancing age with menopause. This laxity of the vagina can cause pelvic organ prolapse with genito-pelvic structures bulging into the vaginal canal. Vaginal laxity can also cause less friction and lead to orgasmic dysfunction.
- Pelvic organ prolapse
How does it work?This procedure utilizes a unique non-ablative mode of an Erbium YAG laser to produce heat contraction of the vaginal mucosal wall and surrounding connective tissue and fascia to tighten the support around the urethra and pelvic ligaments. This helps with stress urinary incontinence and prolapse.
The laser stimulates collagen and elastin production to increase the thickness of the vaginal wall and therefore decrease the diameter of the vagina and improves vaginal laxity.
In addition, the procedure also increases blood flow and vascularity bringing more nutrients and oxygen to the tissue. This will help tremendously with vaginal dryness and irritation.
What to expect from the procedure?
- You will be positioned and draped in an appropriate fashion.
- Topical numbing medication will be applied to the entrance of the vagina.
- A sterile clear speculum is gently inserted. A specific laser hand piece is inserted into the clear speculum. Two or three laser hand pieces may be exchanged depending on the treatment. The laser energy is directed through the clear spectrum to the vaginal wall for the photo-thermal effect. This is also a painless step. You may just feel a very warm sensation and mild discomfort near the entrance to the vagina at the vestibule.
- This procedure takes around 30 minutes.
Are there any side effects, risks or downtime?
- Studies over 10 years have shown no side effects or risks associated with this procedure if performed correctly. There is over 95% of patient satisfaction and over 93% of the partners noticed a difference after the procedure is done. There is no downtime. Patients can return to their normal everyday activities. It is recommended that you avoid any sexual activity for 72 hours after the procedure.
Who is a good candidate?This is a life changing non-surgical procedure that will improve stress urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness, vaginal laxity and prolapse. Clinical results also showed that a tightened vaginal canal resulted in greater sexual satisfaction and significant improvement in a patient’s quality of life.
You should not have the procedure if you:
- Are currently pregnant.
- Have injury or active infection in the treated area.
- Have undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
- Had a MESH or Sling procedure.
- Have an abnormal PAP smear that is not treated.